People of faith in situations of the greatest desperation have, through the centuries, sung in the face of despair and death. It is entirely fitting and uplifting to see the BBC choosing to film Songs of Praise from Calais, witnessing to the way people who are the most marginalised and maligned raise their voices in praise and prayer and singing, God’s people trace their liberation through the Bible and through history to the defiant and heartfelt acts of prayer and praise. From Miriam to Mary songs have told of a freedom which is not of this world, but of God’s commonwealth of love. We in the Iona Community sing with them, delighting in their praise and joining our tears in solidarity to their despair. People of Calais – God’s good people – you do not sing alone.
- Online author event – TONIGHT 11TH OCT – 7PM
- You are invited to watch the much-acclaimed documentary film ‘2040’ at Cairns Church, Milngavie on Thursday evening 21 October at 7pm
- Greyfriars Kirk: Festival of Science, Wisdom & Faith 22-24 October
- WE ARE RECRUITING – ADMINISTRATOR, WILD GOOSE PUBLICATIONS– Closing date: Noon, Wednesday, 27th October
- Climate Assembly in Scotland still making waves in the UK. Co-Convener of the Assembly, and Leader of the Iona Community, Ruth Harvey says ‘Let’s go further and faster to prove we are a climate leader’ in The Times.