Camas – the outdoor centre with a difference
OUR MISSION STATEMENT
We seek to enable growth in love, respect and awareness of ourselves, each other, God and the environment.
What we offer
- Week long nurturing outdoor and community experiences for young people and adults, as part of a group or individually
- A safe, caring environment with unconditional positive regard
- Flexible programmes to meet our guest’s needs
- Growth in confidence through outdoor activities, time in our organic garden and beautiful surrounding landscape, helping out in the kitchen or reflecting on experiences
- Opportunities for personal and group development
A bit more about the centre
Camas is housed in 200-year old cottages nestled in a beautiful bay, 1 ¼ miles walk from the road on the Isle of Mull.
- The activities we offer are right on our door step
- We pride ourselves on our environmental & social conscience: we are off grid and live a simple lifestyle connected to nature. The little power we have comes from our wind turbine, hot water comes from our solar panels.
- Our organic garden supports our vegetarian diet and is used to educate and involve guests in where our food comes from. The garden, plus our expanding woodland and the seashore are a great place to relax and escape.
Activities to build confidence and community
All are aimed at bringing guests and staff together and allowing time for individuals to value each other and themselves.
Rock climbing and abseiling
Forest, forage & nature connecting
(John Muir Award available)
Expeditions on land and sea
Low level hill walking
Days on white sandy beaches
Art, crafts, drama and music
Twice daily solo & group reflections
G.S.D’s (getting stuff done) –washing up, feeding chickens, taking care of the centre.
Evenings by the fire
Games together in the common room
Candlelit homemade meals
Bring a group to Camas
Are you a youth group, school, university or community group? Whatever background, housing scheme or special educational needs school, Camas can aid the work that you are doing with your group in your community through a week at our centre.
What we offer your group:
- Work with us to develop a flexible programme that accommodates the needs of each individual. We facilitate everyone feeling valued and a part of the community
- Our team have extensive experience in youth work, working with challenging behaviour and special educational needs
- We have high staff ratios to give individuals the attention they need
- Welcoming and hospitable atmosphere to make people feel at home
- A place to explore, to have fun and to provide opportunity for the growth and development
Our aim is to support those from marginalised backgrounds; some financial bursaries to subsidise residential and travel costs are available.
For more information on group bookings contact
Abbi Mason (Camas Coordinator)
Tel: 01681 700 367
Email: [email protected]
Are you an individual or family interested in staying at Camas?
We have multiple weeks throughout the year where you don’t have to be part of a group to enjoy Camas.
Why come to an open enrolment week?
- An opportunity to relax, get away from it all and enjoy simple living
- Wilderness surroundings provide breathing space away from the busy-ness of normal life
- Experience community living with all meals provided and time to reflect both with the community and individually
- Explore the environment and local area through a range of exciting activities and in-depth nature connection
- Our flexible approach enables individuals to have their own experiences as well as feeling taken care of in community
- Open enrolment weeks support the work Camas does with groups from disadvantaged areas
Our open weeks include –
2 Garden weeks
- Spring: readying beds and the polytunnel in our organic garden, woodland maintenance, visits to local gardens, organic weavers and Iona
- Autumn: tidying up the garden for winter, collecting seaweed, sorting polytunnels, rest & recuperation
Sustain Yourself/Duke of Edinburgh residential: a programme for 15-22 year olds that explores personal development through community living – sharing fun, reflection and outdoor activity
Family week: time to share family time and have fun in the beauty of Camas Centre
2 Work weeks
- Spring: practical tasks to get the centre ready for the season, plus time to explore Mull and Iona
- Autumn: jobs for the end of season to get Camas snug for the winter storms
For more information contact Abbi Mason (Camas Coordinator)
Tel: 01681 700367
Email: [email protected]
CAMAS VOLUNTEERS – people who enable Camas to do life changing work
Each year 8 volunteers come to live the summer months at Camas and support the resident team to deliver the programme and run the centre. From cooking to kayaking the volunteers make Camas community happen. We couldn’t run without their hard work and enthusiasm.
Want to be a Camas Volunteer?
Volunteers come from all over the world and from all walks of life. No experience is necessary, just a caring personality and willingness to learn.
- Are you free from April to September?
- Want to develop youth work and outdoor facilitation skills?
- Want to live in a beautiful wild landscape?
- Want to support our work with young people from some of the UK’s most disadvantaged areas?
- Want to make friends to last a life time?
- Want to develop your CV with a range of experiences?
If you are interested in volunteering at Camas please take a look at the Camas 2017 Volunteers Advert.
For questions or queries call us on +44(0)1681 700367