NEEDED: Volunteers to work 2019 season at Camas on the Wild West of Scotland!
Camas is a unique outdoor centre based in an isolated bay in South West Mull, offering weekly residential programmes. With activities on our doorstep we offer nurturing outdoor experiences and a sense of community for young people from some of the UK’s most disadvantaged areas. We are looking for volunteers who are willing to give things a go, prepared to live in a very close knit community and who can offer real hospitality and warmth to centre guests.
What it involves:
- Living and working together as part of a team to provide a welcoming, safe and wonderful place for groups coming to Camas
- Leading and assisting adventurous outdoor activities such as climbing, kayaking, wild camping, and coasteering
- Enabling young people to explore and discover a relationship with nature and the world around them
- An off-grid simple lifestyle, tending to building, grounds, garden and woodland
- Facilitating space with groups to reflect & make meaning together from our shared & individual experiences
When is it?
Longer term volunteers – start of April to early October
Shorter term volunteers – late April to end of August
(please note it is essential for volunteers to be available for staff training from 21st April to 4th May)
We offer you:
- Training and support
- 1 ½ days off at the weekend plus a half-day off during the week
- 2 weeks holiday plus £75 holiday allowance
- £30 allowance a week, full board and lodging including own room or wooden hut
Take a look at what we got up to in the 2018 season:
The Camas Diary – http://thecamasdiary.blogspot.co.uk/
The Camas film – Camas film 2018
Please read The Iona Community at Camas - 2019 before completing your application form.
Closing date: 18th January 2019
For questions or queries call us: +44(0)1681 700367
or email [email protected]
Applications must be on the Camas-Volunteer-Application-Form-2019.docx
All Camas Staff will need to be or become Members of Scotland’s Protecting Vulnerable Groups (PVG) Scheme or provide equivalent proof prior to taking up their post at Camas.
As you may know we are starting phase 2 of the renovations in November 2018 and our Iona centres will not be operating a residential programme until Easter 2020 at the earliest. We do have some vacancies for Volunteers but due to restrictions in accommodation for staff and the lack of residential programme we will need a much reduced Volunteer staff in 2019. We will be posting information about the vacancies we will have and the appropriate application forms on the website as soon as we are able, but this will probably not be until December 2018.
We are looking at the future staffing of our Centres and Volunteers will be a large part of this.
We realise that many people will be disappointed with this news but please keep an eye on our website for further updates for 2020.
Thank you for your understanding.