IONA ABBEY in 2020
Exciting opportunity for volunteers – come and live with and work for the Iona Community on Iona as we re-open the Abbey to guests
After two years of closure for building works, we re-open with a completely renovated building and upgraded facilities. We will have up to 43 guests staying in the Abbey centre every week, with whom we will share in community. We will also continue our ministry to the many visitors who come to our daily services.
There are several departments that need volunteers:-
- Kitchen – help prepare and cook the food for guests and staff
- Housekeeping – help keep our buildings clean and pleasant for guests
- Shop – help keep it clean, tidy and well stocked, and help serve customers
- Maintenance/Garden – carry out minor repairs, mow the grass in our various island properties and pay attention to vegetables and flowers
- Sacristan – help the Sacristan prepare the Abbey for worship and keep it clean and tidy, assist with welcoming visitors, count collections, look after the candles in the prayer corner
- General assistants – to assist in whatever department needs help at the time.
All manner of skills, talents and experience are welcome, with relevant training and supervision provided as necessary.
Your travel expenses for getting to Iona from your UK home (or where you land if coming from abroad) will be reimbursed, and you will get free board and lodging. Volunteers who stay for more than 4 weeks will also receive an allowance of £30 a week from week 5 onwards.
Most volunteers will be sharing a room with one other person in a purpose built building accommodating 12 people, and located about 500 metres from the Abbey.
You will be expected to work a 37.5 hour week with one whole day and two half days off each week. You will also eat most meals with our guests, and will be warmly welcome to attend daily worship (indeed you will be encouraged to help with the services, and offered support if you choose to do so.)
For an application pack please email: [email protected]