Transforming lives to change the world
The Iona Community is a unique organisation which empowers ordinary people to do extra-ordinary things. It is a living network, an international ecumenical Christian movement based in Scotland. The Iona Community motivates and inspires people of all ages, from different countries, different backgrounds and different cultures to learn more about their lives meaning and purpose in the company of others.
The capital appeal
Generations of people have been touched by the varied and vital work of the Iona Community – work we want to ensure continues to be a reality and not history. This is especially true of our presence in the Abbey on Iona.
As a proactive and forward thinking organisation, we have been evaluating and re-assessing what we offer to our guests and staff. Wide consultation and guest feedback have identified key issues about the building’s accessibility, flexibility and sustainability. These must be addressed in the next five years if the Abbey is to remain fit for purpose.
The Iona Community has commissioned Tiree-based Roots Design Workshop to draw up proposals for reconfiguration of the existing accommodation in the Abbey, taking into account the considerable challenges of working in a listed building of significant historical interest, on a remote island. As a result of the survey of the building we have been made acutely aware of the critical need to carry out these works as a matter of extreme urgency.
In partnership with Historic Environment Scotland, we will ensure that active use of this iconic building, for its original purpose, is safeguarded for the future.
The key areas of work required to welcome people of all physical abilities are:
- new level access and doors.
- installation of a lift to the first floor accommodation.
- reconfiguration of the refectory to create an inviting and accessible communal space.
- improved kitchen and servery facilities.
- provision of new toilets and showers.
- reconfiguration of bedrooms for single or twin occupancy.
- enhanced lighting and design in corridors to aid access and mobility.
- improved insulation and installation of a new heating system.
These improvements will enable the Iona Community to provide facilities which match our hospitality. They will also enable us to extend the guest season, to welcome more people and to improve financial sustainability across the organisation.
The rebuilding of the Abbey captured the hearts and minds of a previous generation. To keep alive their legacy we must invest in the future. I invite you to be part of this challenging venture. We seek your assistance to raise the £2.5 million required to undertake this project. There are many ways for you to be involved and help in raising these vital funds.
We welcome individual donations or would be delighted to discuss contributions towards specific elements of the development. Your donations are vital to the success of the planned works.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org Tel +44 (0)141 429 7281
Fundraising for the appeal
- Step 1 – Contact us email@example.com Tel +44 (0)141 429 7281
- Step 2 – Let us help publicise your fundraising event
- Step 3 – Set up a fundraising page through Virgin Money Giving
- Click to see the current Appeal Leaflet
- Abbey Refurbishment Presentation at the Community’s 2014 AGM
- Iona Community Charter of purposes, principles, and practices
- Iona Community Charter (short)
- The Case for Support (August 2016) for Trusts and Funders
- Costs Summary updated January 2016