- This event has passed.
Hadeel & Fair Trade Pop-Up Shop – Iona Community Regional Plenary
March 23, 2019 @ 12:30 pm - 3:30 pm
The occasional Fairtrade and Palestinian shop in Glasgow
This month, we’ll be at the Iona Community’s Regional Plenary, which takes place at the Calton Heritage & Learning Centre, 423 London Road, Glasgow G40 1AG (on the corner of London Road and Tobago Street, directly opposite Templeton’s Business Centre), http://www.caltonhlc.co.uk
So, if you’re going to this event, and if you are …
- interested in buying food and crafts in support of fair trade, justice and – in particular – Palestinian farmers and craftworkers?
- wanting to find unique gifts and show practical solidarity with oppressed people?
- keen to source ethical brands of products that you use regularly, but are not widely or often available in shops you frequent?
… our wee Pop-Up Shop could be the answer to your shopping dilemmas!
Since November 2018, weeWONDERBOX and Hadeel have been collaborating to regularly offer this opportunity to source unique, hard-to-get, ethical products in central Glasgow, both in occasional pop-up shop form and also through the possibility of pick-ups of pre-ordered products at the Iona Community’s Glasgow base.
Today will feature the pop-up shop, with plenty of time to browse, plus a short presentation … and of course, refreshments.
Food & Household
We will have the following food & household products available:
- Olive Oil: Conventional Extra Virgin – 250ml and 500ml
- Olive Oil: Organic, Fairtrade Certified – 250ml, 500ml and 1L
- Za’atar – 20g sachet and 80g jar
- Medjoul Dates – 250g and 500g boxes
- Almonds: all Fairtrade – Raw, 150g bag, Chilli, 140g box and Caramelised 140g box
- Freekeh (Smoky Green Wheat) – 250g box
- Maftoul: Organic (Giant Couscous) – 250g box
- Olive Oil Soap (Various scents) – 60g bar
- Chocolate: various Fairtrade bars and boxes (including Divine)
- Toilet Roll:Who Gives A Crap recycled rolls
- Tea: Breakfast Blend Loose Leaf, Fairtrade, 125g box; Early Grey, Fairtrade, teabags, 50 bags
- Coffee: Traidcraft Organic Peruvian Ground, Fairtrade, 227g; Decaff Organic Ground Coffee (Fairtrade) 227g
- Bamboo Toothbrushes: Environmental and Fair Trade; in Soft/ Medium/ Child versions.
On display on the day, we’ll also have a selection drawn from Hadeel’s stock (to see the full range held in Edinburgh, click on the category links below).
- Health & Beauty
- Olive Wood
Ordering & Pick-up
You can pre-order food or craft items for pick-up at the Pop-Up Shop; or at another time from the Iona Community Base in Carlton Court.
We hold a stock of the foods (see list above) at Carlton Court.
Crafts are held at Hadeel’s shop in Edinburgh and brought through for each Pop-Up Shop. You can browse crafts by visiting the links above (or via the Hadeel homepage) and if you wish a particular item(s), in a particular size, design or colour, you can pre-order this by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 0141 429 7281.
Thus, we can arrange for it to be brought through to Glasgow. It will then be available for pick-up at the Pop-Up Shop; or we can arrange a suitable pick-up time at the Iona Community Base on another day. Products can be paid for at the time of pick-up.
- Hadeel is a Fair Trade shop which aims to provide a sustainable income and support for Palestinian artisans, farmers and others working in Fair Trade organisations and social enterprises.
- Palestinian handcrafts, living examples of ethnic art, and food are deeply rooted in the cultural identity and history of the people and land. They have become a symbols of the people and their striving for a normal way of life with a national status, free of the Israeli colonial occupation of their land.
- Palestinian handcrafts and food are part of the non-violent cultural resistance which benefits the economy and complements the BDS movement.
- Making beautiful handcrafts also gives people dignity and helps them psychologically to survive while living under conditions where their most basic human rights are denied.
- Hadeel (UK) is a company owned by the charity, Palcrafts (UK) – Scottish Charity number 033983.
- ‘Hadeel’ is Arabic for the cooing of a dove.
See the weeWONDERBOX 2018-19 listings page for more information about these.
Time: 12.30pm -3.30pm
Venue: Calton Heritage & Learning Centre, 423 London Road, Glasgow G40 1AG (on the corner of London Road and Tobago Street, directly opposite Templeton’s Business Centre), http://www.caltonhlc.co.uk
Access to the event space is via one step. Inside there is a low-stepped ramp. We are happy to provide assistance.
To receive updates of weeWONDERBOX events, sign up to the WGRG and weeWONDERBOX eNews here.
weeWONDERBOX is a programme of events organised by the Iona Community’s Programme Worker and the Wild Goose Resource Group.
0141 429 7281