Iona and Camas
Are you looking for an alternative, counter cultural and spiritually challenging way to live and work? Then consider joining the Resident Staff at our centres on the island of Iona or at Camas, to share a common life and extend our ministry of hospitality to guests from all over the world.
Being part of the Resident Staff at the Island Centres is not simply taking on a job – it is taking on a way of life, sharing in the Community’s ministry of hospitality and a common life of work and worship. Resident Staff Members take on specific responsibilities for the running of certain functions within the Community, which encompass a range of skills and experience. We ask that applicants be in sympathy with the aims and purpose of the Iona Community and recognise that living in community is not simply doing a job but sharing in common life responsibilities which includes welcoming guests, building community and daily worship where appropriate. Please read Working For The Iona Community explaining practical details about life on Iona and Camas.
Resident posts are generally offered on a fixed term basis of between 10 months and 3 years. All posts regardless of the duties are offered at the same monthly allowance, plus full board and lodgings, and relocation assistance. Many Iona and ALL Camas Resident Group posts are subject to Membership of The Protecting Vulnerable Groups Scheme (PVG Scheme). Having a criminal record however will not exclude anyone from applying, or being considered for appointment.
If you wish to apply for more than one post, you must complete a separate application form for each post.
UK Immigration Law means that it if there is a suitable candidate from the EU or otherwise already has the right to work in the UK we are not allowed to appoint someone who does not.
Iona is a small island off the west coast of Scotland with beautiful white beaches and centuries of history. There are approximately 150 people living on the island and it is the home of the Iona Community; an ecumenical Christian community committed to living the Gospel. The Iona Community offers a programme in the Abbey through the season, is responsible for daily worship in the Abbey Church and runs a gift and book shop.
Closing date passed
We are looking for an enthusiastic individual to lead our shop team who will relish the challenges of working in the fast-paced environment of a thriving business while fully participating in the common life of the Iona Community resident staff team on a remote Hebridean island.
The Iona Community Shop represents the face of the Iona Community and offers a holistic approach to retail. This is achieved by selling products that reflect the ethos of the community and sourcing those products from a combination of local and other small businesses, and Fairtrade organisations of the highest ethical standing. It is also a place of hospitality for the thousands of visitors, many who come to Iona as part of their own pilgrimage.
The role will involve:
- Run the day to day operation of the shop including customer service, receiving stock, processing orders, ordering stock, designing rotas, training, supervising and supporting of shop staff (resident and volunteer) and the allocation of their duties
- Ensure the correct handling and accounting of all sales receipts and maintain appropriate records and reports via the EPOS system
- Maintain good working relationships with current suppliers and develop links with potential new suppliers to ensure the Iona Community’s values and Shop Purchase Policy are represented in the shop
- Manage and purchase stock to ensure optimum levels are maintained and correctly recorded in EPOS system
- Develop a business plan and operational plan for online shop
- Conduct annual stocktake
- Develop and maintain suitable controls to gain the best value from the stock holding, and optimise stock turnover to meet budgetary objectives
- Market and promote the shop to maximise its visibility among guests and day visitors. Ensure that products and information about the Iona Community are well displayed. Supporting Iona Centres programming with relevant books by visiting authors and organising regular promotional events e.g. book chats.
- Ensure that Iona Community publications (Wild Goose Publications) sales opportunities are maximised in liaison with Wild Goose Publication staff
- Develop working relationships with other businesses on the island and, when possible, attend the Island of Iona Business Forum
- Any other duties which are appropriate to the post, as agreed.
- Applicants should share the Iona Community’s open and inclusive Christian commitment and understand its aims, values and ethos. Applicants must also be willing and able to share fully in the Common Life of hospitality and welcome, which extends beyond our roles and tasks and into our daily life.
As a member of the Resident Team the post holder is required to participate in the common life at our centres. The focus of this common life is a shared life of hospitality and includes leading worship services, and when the Abbey Centres Programme resumes, chairing meals, helping lead ceilidhs, pilgrimages and guest concerts and interacting with guests. The worship of the Iona Community on the island is the responsibility of the Iona Centres Director, however all other resident staff members will be expected to share in the conduct of worship, for which training will be given. More information on the general responsibilities of Resident Staff is given in “Working For The Iona Community on Iona 2018” and these should be read in conjunction with this job description and addressed in your application
Deadline for applications 23:59 (BST) Wednesday 5th September 2018
Shortlisted applicants should be prepared to travel to Iona for Interview to be held on Iona – 19th or 20th September, which will entail arrival in the afternoon of day before the interview and departure in the morning on of the day following the interview
Please read Working For The Iona Community on Iona before applying.
All applications must be on the Islands Application Form (CVs are not accepted)
Job Description Shop Manager October 2018.pdf
Completed applications forms should be returned to Karen Turner, [email protected]
by post the Iona Community, 21 Carlton Court, Glasgow, G5 9JP
We will be advertising the following vacancies at Camas in the next few days
Camas Resident Staff Team Member – Activities Programme Worker, (3 year – seasonal contract)
Camas Resident Staff Team Member – Activities Programme Worker, (9 mth seasonal contract)
Camas Resident Staff Team Member – Environment Programme Worker, (3 year – seasonal contract)
There are currently no vacancies in Glasgow
For information about Volunteering please click here to be redirected